Skip Ribbon Commands
Skip to main content

Skip Navigation LinksHistory

 History

Oil exploration in the Dukhan Fields began as early as 1935 and the first well was drilled in 1940. The first shipment of crude oil was exported from Qatar on 31 December 1949. The development of Mesaieed Industrial City began in 1974. The city was originally managed by the Ministry of Municipal and Agricultural Affairs and then subsequently transferred to Qatar Petroleum in 1996. Ras Laffan Industrial City has been under Qatar Petroleum’s responsibility since its inception in 1996. Dukhan, Mesaieed and Ras Laffan have successfully transformed over time from barren desert to world-leading industrial cities in support of Qatar’s oil and gas industry.

​