The club was established in 1951 as a 9-hole brown golf course built with sand and oil mixture to provide an alternative to the green course known as ‘desert golf’. The golf course was expanded in 1959 into an 18-hole brown golf course to host the Middle East Oil Industry Golf Association (MEOIGA) Trophy Championships. Today, the golf club hosts competitions and championships such as the QP Challenge Trophy and provides facilities such as cafeteria, banquet hall and tennis court for QP staff and visitors.
The club operations are managed by the Facilities Department. Facilities Manager (MF) is the asset holder also appoints the club managing committee from the management and senior staff members of Qatar Petroleum, comprising of President, Vice President, Hon. Secretary and Treasurer, who then elect the working committee consisting of Course Captain, Lady Captain, Course member, Equipment member, Catering Member etc. The managing committee promotes/controls the membership, organizes sport events and liaises with the Facilities Dept. for the club operations such as Golf Course maintenance, equipment related to Golf sport, organizing other events, provides feedback to MF on committee/member suggestions for improvements.